The landlord must:
- Provide a clean apartment when the tenant moves in; n clean common areas (hallways, stairs, yards, entryways);
- Keep hallways and entryways lighted well; and, n keep plumbing and heating systems working (both hot and cold running water).
In addition, the following may be required by state and local housing, health and fire codes:
- Correctly repaired and safe stairways, porches, floors, ceilings and walls;
- Good locks on the doors to the apartment; n safe fire exits from the building; n two electrical outlets in each room; n viewing devices on doors that open onto a hallway (in some communities);
- Extermination service if the apartment is infested with pests or rodents; and n a smoke detector that is in working order.
Landlords should check the appropriate state and local agencies to see what applies to their properties.